Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Reel Movies: Igby Goes Down

Director & Writer: Burr Steers
Cast: Kieran Culkin, Claire Danes, Bill Pullman, Susan Saradon, Ryan Phillippe, Amanda Peet, Jeff Goldblum,
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Summary:
Igby Slocumb (Culkin) is a seventeen year old boy who just can't keep himself from getting kicked out of school. Born into old money, but couldn't care less. Having a schizophrenic father (Pullan), a vain un-maternal mother (Saradon), and a Republican brother (Phillippe) doesn't help much either. Having flunked out of another school, Igby realizes there must be more to life than the one he has been living. Eventually he makes his way to Manhattan, where he meets a pleather of new faces. Igby struggles with a few obstacles in order to grow up.

Review:
I've only heard great things from this movie, but maybe I missed something? Casting choice was impeccable, but the story? The tone was at times inconsistent and some scenes didn't even flow. I usually read up a bit before viewing a movie just to get an idea, but this time I didn't. I don't even think that could have helped at all. This actors were wonderful-- superb even, but everything else made me think "uh.. what?". I really wish I could have enjoyed it; I really tried. It became dull after awhile. Similarities between this and The Catcher in the Rye were not unnoticed, but even that couldn't save it.  I really don't even know what happened with this one. I wouldn't recommend this, unless someone wants to watch it to prove me wrong. I have to say 5/10. 

--J.

No comments: